School Travel Plan
Roding Primary is a Gold Accredited School recognised by Transport for London.
We actively encourage our pupils and staff to walk, scoot or cycle to school as they:
- keep us fit and healthy
- help our pupils develop road safety skills which will keep them safe as they travel further afield and more independently
- help keep our local air clean, and our streets free from congestion
- are life skills that everyone should be able to benefit from
What is a School Travel Plan?
A School Travel Plan promotes and facilitates active, healthy, safe and sustainable travel to school as an alternative to using the private car.
The main objectives of a School Travel Plan are to:
- Improve health through encouraging active travel and reducing harmful emissions
- Improve the environment through reducing congestion, reducing pollution and CO2 emissions and improving facilities for walkers and cyclists
- Improve safety through highways engineering measures and increasing road safety education
- Improve access and opportunity by developing pupils' skills for safe and independent travel
For the wellbeing of our pupils, we expect parents and carers to:
- Encourage their child to walk, cycle or scoot to school whenever possible
- Encourage their child to take up opportunities to develop their competence and confidence in cycling or scooting
- Consider cycling or scooting with their child on the school run, possibly joining with other families as a ‘cycle train’
- Provide their child with equipment such as high-visibility clothing, lights, a lock and cycle helmet as appropriate
- Ensure that the bicycles and scooters ridden to school are roadworthy and regularly maintained.