Originally, the land surrounding Roding Primary School was part of a large site owned by Barnardos, the children’s charity.
In 1913, The Woodford Bridge Garden City Council Elementary School was opened for boys from the local Dr. Barnardo’s Home. The school was located near the Menzies London Chigwell Hotel (formerly The Prince Regent).
In 1978 Barnardos sold 18 acres of land to builders Roger Malcolm Limited of Wembley. They developed over 200 homes and we now know this area as Gwynne Park estate!
Roding Primary School was built in 1938, although this was not the school name at the beginning. Initially, the school building was used by the fire service during the Second World War.
In 1946, the school was opened as a county junior school when single-storey buildings were added. In 1948 a separate infant school was established. The amalgamation of the Infant and Junior schools took place in 1952 thus creating the current Roding Primary School.
We continually strive towards achieving our aims and goals, providing our very best to our children and communities.
The River Roding rises in Molehill Green (not far from Stansted Airport) and flows 50km through Essex and London until it meets the Thames at Barking Creek. Through Woodford Bridge the river passes just 500m from our school, which is why it gives Roding Primary School its name.
In 1920, the Duke of York became President of the London "Safety First" Council, when his presidency ended in 1923 he became Patron. Also in 1923 The National "Safety First" Association was formed with the London "Safety First" Council. This award certificate was presented to a child for the best 'Safety First' essay in 1934. The original certificate remains in school.
A more recent photo of children working in what we believe to be the current Year 3 corridor. It is possible the photo is from the 90s or early 00s.
Central government issued a Revised Code of Regulations in 1862. This required schools which were inspected and eligible for state grants to keep a log book giving a regular account of activities in the school. The 1862 code specified that the school log book should be a bound volume of more than 500 pages, into which the headteacher made daily entries. From 1871, weekly entries were acceptable. Once an entry had been made, it could only be amended by a new entry and could not be deleted or changed.
The log books found at Roding date are over 110 years old. The first entry was in 1914.
This is a log book entry from June 1917. The entry from 13th June 1917 reads: